A fire broke out in the kitchen at the Irishman's Shanty Monday morning after an aerosol can exploded near a vent.
A fire broke out in the kitchen at the Irishman's Shanty Monday morning after an aerosol can exploded near a vent. The flames traveled up into the attic and firefighters had to cut out parts of the roof to get at the damage. There were four employees and one customer inside with owner, Paul Gregg, when the fire started.
"It was like a ball of flames that just shot right out," said longtime cook Daryl Vrem.
Manager Gail Hoffman added, "Daryl was right in front of it. I yelled for Paul and we all got out of there. I haven't been that scared in a long time."
Gregg's niece, Jen, was on the restaurant side and his bookkeeper, Sonja, was in the office doing paperwork. There was one gentleman in the bar. Everyone managed to get out safely.
"It's definitely not how I imagined my Monday going, that's for sure," said Gregg.
After the fire crew announced that they were going to have to work on hot spots on the roof, he sent his employees home.