A roundup of odd news reported this week by GateHouse newspapers.


  Missing whooping crane found   ROCKFORD, Ill. -- The whooping crane that got lost while on a guided migration from Wisconsin to Florida was found Wednesday in Kentucky after five days of being on his own. The crane dropped out of the flock Nov. 23 during a rough flight from Indiana to Kentucky. It is not unusual for cranes to leave the flight led by Operation Migration ultralite pilots, but they generally are found and coaxed back to the flock within hours. The crane numbered 733 had whooping crane fans across the nation worried.   No. 733 is one of 17 young whooping cranes that were hatched in captivity and have no one to teach them to fly south for the winter. Operation Migration pilots take a “class” of them to Florida every fall, and the birds return to Wisconsin on their own in spring. The goal is to establish a wild flock that will be large enough to reproduce on its own and continue the Wisconsin-Florida migration pattern. There are fewer than 500 whooping cranes in the world.   No. 733 was found after numerous sightings in Kentucky and Indiana. The Web site operationmigration.org reported that the crane was captured by costumed handlers in a cow pasture near Big Spring, Ky. The 17 cranes and Operation Migration crew on Thursday were in Washington County, Ky., waiting for weather conditions that will allow them to resume their flight to central Florida. They left Wisconsin on Oct. 13.   Young hooligan messes with wrong retiree   MORGAN COUNTY, Mo. -- A man who allegedly stabbed and wrestled with a World War II veteran fled on foot only to be tracked down by a K-9 unit a short distance away. Morgan County Detective Todd Wright said 83-year-old Stanley Egerer was in his home sleeping early Monday morning when 20-year-old Joshua Burris allegedly broke in. Egerer awoke to find Burris in his bedroom, holding a knife and demanding money. Burris then stabbed Egerer in the upper left chest after he said he didn’t have any.   But Egerer fought back. During the skirmish, the WWII vet suffered several more cuts to his hands and arms from the knife, Wright said. Burris then fled the residence on foot, taking with him several stolen prescription medications, according to the police report. Egerer called 911 about 3 a.m. to report the burglary.   Investigators from the sheriff’s office, along with detective Tony Wheatley and his K-9 dog, Joky, joined the search for the suspect. Wright said Burris was tracked down about a half-mile away in a wooded area off Route TT. He was attempting to get his 1995 gold-colored Ford Ranger unstuck from the mud. A search warrant executed on Burris and his residence found several pieces of evidence linking him to the crime.   Teens flirt with danger during ‘war games’   CANTON, Ohio -- Police say the Canton man and four teenagers helped from the roof of an unused warehouse where they were playing war games Saturday had explosives. One of the devices, detectives said, may have been detonated earlier at an undetermined location. “Luckily no one was harmed in this incident. Many of these things go terribly wrong,” said Detective Sgt. Mark Kandel of the Canton Police Department.   According to police, the men were charged with criminal trespassing and illegally manufacturing or possessing explosive devices. The group was arrested Saturday night after police were called to the unused warehouse in the 4000 block of Division Road NE about 6:50 p.m. Saturday. Kandel said police had been called by a Norfolk Railroad employee who heard noises coming from the building, which is boarded up and owned by the Pennsylvania Railroad, the Stark County Auditor’s Web site states.   “It appears that they were involved in a game of pellet tag,” Kandel said. “They were playing in the building with what appears to be rubberized pellet guns using small plastic pellets. They were inside playing army or war or urban combat. When the police arrived they abandoned their game, realizing that they had some illegal items. They were trying to hide on the roof.”   The items, he said, were “grenade bodies,” hollowed-out hand grenades that had been refilled with “a form of pelletized gunpowder. They were using a regular cannon-type fuse as a detonating system,” the detective said. “It wasn’t like they had a paperweight, which is what these things are typically sold as. They’re basically used as novelty items.”   Wasn’t there a movie like this?   ST. CHARLES, Ill. -- A Machesney Park man faces three felony and three misdemeanor charges after he pushed his younger brother into a glass aquarium and injured his mother in their St. Charles home on Thanksgiving weekend, police said. Charles F. Miller, 50, was arrested about 5 a.m. after police responded to a fight in a home, according to the St. Charles Police Department.   Witnesses said the fight started when Miller entered the home intoxicated and began making noise, waking his 75-year-old mother, according to a police report. Miller became belligerent when his mother asked him to quiet down. He put her in a suffocating bear-hug and squeezed her right bicep, which caused a laceration, the report said. Miller’s 42-year-old brother intervened and managed to lock him out of the home, but Miller broke out a window on the back door and entered the home again.   The brothers began fighting and Miller pushed his brother head-first into a 50-gallon snake aquarium, causing a large cut at the top of his head, the report said. The younger brother’s 16-year-old son called police when the fight became violent. Four officers responded to the scene. Miller was shot twice with a Taser, and medics gave him two doses of sedatives before police were able to fully restrain him and put him in an ambulance.   Both brothers were taken to Delnor-Community Hospital in Geneva where the younger brother required seven staples to close the gash on his head. The mother was treated at the scene for several scratches and released.   GateHouse News Service