It was not the way any family wants to wake up. But for the Canavans of Church Street in Cohasset, smoke signaled one of their worst nightmares early Friday morning.


 


It was not the way any family wants to wake up.

But for the Canavans of Church Street in Cohasset, smoke signaled one of their worst nightmares early Friday morning.

Somehow fire from the chimney that is connected to their state-of-the-art wood-burning stove in their family room got into the walls and traveled up to the ceiling and into the second floor of the Victorian-era home.

Homeowner Jim Canavan was still trying to absorb it all as he nursed a cup of coffee while standing in his driveway.

“My wife was on the couch downstairs,” he said when the fire was discovered at about 5 a.m. “The power went out and the TV went off – and that is what woke her up.”

Over the next few minutes, family members went on a mad dash for the remote-style phone which their son had up in his bedroom. The battery to that phone needed to be charged.

Amy Canavan located the cell phone and called 9-1-1 while Jim tried to put the fire out from the outside with the hose, which was kinked.

Cohasset Fire Chief Robert Silvia said the call came in at 5:02 a.m. about smoke in the house. When the firefighters arrived there was smoke and fire in the area outside the metal chimney, which is on the back of the house.

“Our preliminary investigation revealed the fire went into the wall and ceiling and into the two rooms above.”

Silva said the firefighters, who initially responded, evacuated the four residents and started to work to get to the seat of the fire.

A second alarm was struck and mutual aid was provided by Scituate, Hull and Hingham. Firefighters opened the wall and the ceiling. The fire and damage was contained to four rooms, two upstairs and two downstairs.

The State Fire Marshall’s office was on the scene Friday morning interviewing the Canavans as part of the investigation.

The home has been added onto and the fire was in the older section; it is not clear if the home is habitable. Building Inspector Robert Egan was on the scene by about 8 a.m.

During the overhaul, Silvia said at the scene firefighters had to insure that the fire had not traveled within the walls and ceiling to other areas of the home.

There were no injuries. The Canavans, who are formerly from Scituate, moved to the home about four years ago. They have three children, one of whom is away at school.